Waxing nostalgic

From: Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 22:02:13 /etc/localtime

Over the years I've used every conceivable clear coating over my prints.
Why?
In the 1960's I did a lot of color work and knew it'd fade.
Hence, cover the surface w/an impenetrable seal I thought.
Various miracle floor liquids for vinyl floors, paste wax, carnauba wax,
clear shellac, lacquer, Krylon™ sprays, even tried laminations of different
sorts.
>From Bryant Labs in Berkeley, California, where we can purchase many alt.
photo chemicals, I found the Renaissance™ was used by museum conservators.
It is quite difficult to place a spray or a was upon a photographic surface
w/o exhibiting streaking or buffing marks but the Renaissance stuff seems
pretty good.
That's all I know.

Perhaps some of the newer materials of 1999 are better. Certainly, a material
known as Bull Dog, by Triangle of El Cerrito, California, is used by a number
of Iris Giclée printers who work with the Equipoise ink set. This ink set has
a longevity w/the coating of about 40+ years.

Jack Fulton