Re: Glass for UV exposure frames?

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 22:23:43 /etc/localtime

Michael, I use and recommend the Starphire glass from PP&G. In my smaller
frames, 16x20 and smaller, I use the 4mm thickness. I also use a 8mm sheet
for some special applications. As Jeffrey pointed out, stay away from
single pane unless you have a very cooperative source that will let you
reject any that shows imperfections. The Starphire allows a greater amount
of UV than does the standard green. It is however, more pronounced at the
370nm to 300nm range. The output of your light will certainly influence
your choice or should. If you use BLB the peak at 350 to 360, and closer to
where it may not really matter if you use Starphire or Standard. And
further, if you use the Super Actinic, peak about 415nm, it may not matter
at all since at that level they both pass nearly equal amounts.

I would say that if you go with BL's than you will see a real benefit to
Starphire, if not stay with standard.

Happy printing

EJ Neilsen

--