Re: Kallitype Developing Problem

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 19:35:06 /etc/localtime

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Cor Breukel wrote:

> True, the SiverNitrate is mainly in the developer, which is a more
> economical way, less SilverNitrate is used, and the developer is re-usable
> (although granted: SilverNitrate isn't that expensive). But maybe more

Cor, this cannot be so -- true, the *percent* of the silver nitrate
solution in the developer is less, but the total amount must be more. I
coat the paper with emulsion containing less than 2 ccs of 17% solution,
but you need probably a litre or so for tray development.

As for the cost of silver nitrate, I think about $9 an ounce (30 g) or
less now. That would make you kallitypes from here to the NEXT millennium.
Then, consider the effluent, or discharge of heavy metal into the
ecosphere -- the emulsion you mix and apply directly would, I assume, have
much less to dispose of after development and washing the applicator, than
in developer.

> important is the claim by Thompson (on which method Peter Marshall has
> based his article) is that this system (which is mildly acid) is resulting
> in stable Kallitypes. In private conversation Peter told me that his

Put the acid in the developer, for instance tartaric in sodium acetate.

> Kallitypes made that way have not faded, and they were made quite some
> time ago. Mine are simply to young, and also goldtoned afterwards those
> prints I like

I got black kallitypes with palladium toning, and/or by choice of paper.
When the issue is out, I'll check which one.

> But even if you use the "classical" method, isn't the developing not
> almost instant? So your "immersing technique" should also be good, to
> avoid developing marks?

My immersing technique is... whatever, who knows? I never had the problem
so can't say (tho that itself suggests immersing not an issue). But PS. I
had a kallitype dorpped behind a bureau fade in about two years in a
half-inch wide stripe the length of the print. Who knows what hit it?
Did Peter Marshall's prints fall behind a bureau? Which is to say, his
(or mine) are hardly controlled tests to describe kallitype fading.

Judy