Re: Silver recovery

From: John Deluca (jdeluca@adm.schoolofvisualarts.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 18:51:40 /etc/localtime

Try contacting Tim Lyons at Photo Systems, Inc.
lyons@photosys.com
He will be able to help you set something up.

You will need to check with your local EPA/DEP for the specifics of the
local codes. You will also need to know what you need to treat, i.e. B&W
Fixer, RA4 blix, C41 fixer and E6 fixer. B&W fixer can be combined with E6
& C41 fixers. RA4 blix must be treated separately. We use Electrolytic units
with tailing cartridges for our Fixers. Our RA4 processors are hooked up to
a Metered pump system that runs the Blix effluent through a pair of Resin
cartridges. This unit is pretty much a no brainer. Our codes (NYC) call for
the removal of silver from "silver bearing effluent". Luckily, we do not
have to worry about treating wash water. You need to check your codes, you
may have to treat wash water as well as the other solutions. Our students
are expected to dump their waste fixer into collection drums placed by each
sink. We collect the solution and transport it to one of three stations (
one on each of three floors allocated to darkrooms). Our units have been
modified to filter particulate matter out of the effluent before it enters
the electrolytic unit. We have installed float switches and solenoids in the
units so that they automatically refill themselves from a 30 gallon tank
mounted above the recovery unit. This is as low maintenance as we have been
able to come up with. The recovery units indicate when they need to have the
silver flake removed. These systems have worked well in our school
application. Tim can offer suggestions to meet your needs.