Re: Sepia toner colors

From: Gary Miller (gmphotos@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Dec 26 1999 - 02:12:57 /etc/localtime

Sepia toning after selenium toning does work and can produce some beautiful
tonal mixtures of warm highlights and cooler shadows. The trick is no to
selenium tone too long, and this is where good old experimentation comes in.
I will tone in selenium 1:19 for 3-mins with either Brilliant, Polymax Fine
Art, or Oriental Seagull papers. After a thorough washing the prints are
sent through the sepia toning process. You will have to try on your own
because there are many variables involved here. The sepia toner that I use
is thiocarbamide. But I have had staining problems recently using the
Oriental paper. And I should add that all three papers named are variable
contrast varieties. I also do not notice that the VC papers are hard to
bleach or take longer in your standard Pot ferrocyanide/bromide bleach
mixture. Your results will vary. Keep toning.

Gary Miller