Re: Newbie seeks advice on film output

James A. Strain (jstrain@iquest.net)
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 13:38:34 -0500

Richard: I have tried LVT output to film in an attempt to get an
enlarged neg suitable for pt/pd printing or Palladio printing. It was
notably unsuccessful. As you have already suggested, it was difficult
to get a dark enough dark. This is from recollection. I like to have a
dmax of about 2.10 or so on my negs for pt/pd or Palladio printing and
the LVT output had a dmax more like 1.25 or so.
    With respect to Palladio paper: I have historically found it to be
a very nice paper with good tooth and very smooth tonality. Others seem
not to like it just because it is pre-coated, a predilection I have
never understood. One person on the list claims never to have seen a
satisfactory Palladio print, an indisputable claim. I have both seen
and done numerous beautiful Palladio prints. It is not as flexible as
hand coating in the sense that contrast ranges and, obviously, the paper
are fixed (although one can use H2O2 in the developer to enhance
contrast). Make sure you call Palladio to find out the availability of
their paper. They were having difficulty with their supplier. Good
luck. Jim