Re: glyoxal hardening: how to?

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 18:33:03 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Maylee Noah wrote:
> After browsing the archives I've decided to try using glyoxal. I've already
> got a pile of paper sized with two coats of Knox gelatin, so what do I do
> now? Can I just soak it 10-15 minutes in 2.5% glyoxal? Is it better to add
> it to the sizing from the start?

Maylee, if you can determine whether it's better to add to the sizing
from the start, we will all be in your debt. My own sense of the
situation is that it's actually more convenient to do as separate baths,
and certainly no worse, so I've always done it that way. I'd also worry
that if you put the gelatin in the fridge between uses it would harden
permanently if the hardener was already in it.

And yes, we just put the paper into the working solution one sheet at a
time, turning once or twice to be sure all bubbles are gone so the whole
thing wets, and after 10 minutes or so, hang to dry --

If you find a difference in the way it prints, please send word...

Judy