Re: Epson negs

Ken Carney (kcarney@nstar.net)
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 20:45:41 -0600

Nick:

After a lapse of a couple of years, I am getting back into palladium
printing. I had the first edition of Dan Burkholder's book, and just got
the second edition. I recommend it highly. There are parts that have so
far escaped me, such as the desktop correction curves, but overall the book
has more creative ideas per ounce than anything I've seen. I have managed
to get some fairly decent prints with negatives printed on Burlington "high
definition" transparency material, using the Epson EX setting for photo
quality inkjet paper. It never seems to dry, so I use a .002" mylar
spacer. After the image is inverted, it is colorized with C33, M43, Y100,
K35. I will adjust this, as the negative prints with too much contrast,
even though no contrast agent is used. Think I'll give the imagesetter
another try. Anything besides enlarging negs in the darkroom. Yesterday
my wife and I went through the Galen Rowell exhibit all printed on the
Lightjet, and it was great. That's another possibility, negs on the
Lightjet 5000.

I''m no computer expert, but one thing I have noticed: The quality of the
desktop neg is greatly influenced by the pixel count, as shown by the
histogram in PS5. For example: I scanned two 4x5 TMX negs, one fully
exposed and one somewhat thin where due to circumstances I had to guess at
the exposure. The first has a pixel count 4x the second. Why this is so I
don't know, but: The first will make a good desktop neg, and the second
will not no matter what. Same old thing, I guess.