Re: Fresson article in "Reponses Photo" of June 1999

Tom Sobota (TSOBOTA@teleline.es)
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:41:18 +0100

Hi, Judy,

A 14.34 9/11/99 -0500, ha escrito:

>Hi tom...
>
>If Sheila Metzner's story in one of the photo magazines circa 1980 is to
be believed, you had to walk to their remote & secret lab barefoot, or
better yet, on your knees, and then beg them to print for you.

Is that so? Well, in that case I gladly stand corrected. I remember having
read an article on the Fressons in an american magazine, years back.
Perhaps it was the same one that you refer to. Don't remember anything
about any difficulties to approach them, but it may have slipped my memory!

>I confess that reading the print & web site info (for which much thanks),
it occurs to me to wonder if maybe digital printing has cut into business,
or if a new generation has new ideas (or both).

Yes, I agree. A new idea one could suggest them is to publish a big nice
book describing the procedure :-) I know that Luis Nadeau says that the
preparation of the tissue is hopelessly difficult (and that Ortiz Echagüe
did most of his work on paper bought from the Fressons, not the one that he
prepared) but even so, it'd be a nice move. But fat chance, I guess...

Sometimes in my sleepless nights I envision a modified Epson printer
squirting red, green, blue and black droplets of pigmented gum on a
watercolor paper, a la Autochrome. To be exposed under a color negative...
No, no, just dreaming...

Bye
Tom

Tom Sobota