Zia Type Colour shift?

Cor Breukel (cor@ruly46.medfac.leidenuniv.nl)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:55:59 +0100 (MET)

I just finished one of my in-frequent Zia type printing sessions, and I
noticed a distinct colour shift compaired with my previous results.

I used the same mixture (100 ul(=microliter) LiPd; 50 ul CsPd (heated and
stirred); 2 ul Tween20 and 150ul AFOx), rod coating, dry 2 min before
printing.

I obtained a warm brown image, compaired to the grey black (very slightly
warmed up due to the CsPd) images I used to get.

As a control I printed some negatives I printed before; I also had to use
about 10-20 longer printing times as before, and these also gave the warm
brown instead of the grey black colours obtained previously.

I am wondering why this colour change happend.

Since I kept everything the same as 4 months ago I can think of two
things:

The humidity was relative low: 65% compaired to the 70-80% at which I
usualy print (I have no humidity control), but the time between coating
and printing is short: 2 minutes

Or maybe the Ziatype kit is too old (I bought it about 2 years ago). I
assume that the metal solutions are quite stable, so maybe the AFOx is
causing this colour shift?

Any ideas?

Cor Breukel
http://ruly70.medfac.leidenuniv.nl/~cor/cor.html