Re: Zia Type Colour shift?

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 06:30:07 -0500

Cor Breukel wrote:
> I obtained a warm brown image, compaired to the grey black ...
> I am wondering why this colour change happend.
>
> Since I kept everything the same as 4 months ago I can think of two
> things:
>
> The humidity was relative low: 65% compaired to the 70-80% at which I
> usualy print (I have no humidity control), but the time between coating
> and printing is short: 2 minutes ...

This is likely your answer. Without humidity control, color can be
anywhere from neutral black to warm brown. I would guess your RH
(relative humidity) was actually below 55%. Short times between coating
and printing do not matter as the paper will change RH rather quickly.
Consistency and control of the ambient RH seems the easiest approach.
To increase RH, sonic misters will do a great job and do not cost much.

I would also advise caution with RH above 70% as I have found
inconsistent results at such high RH. Also keep in mind the accuracy
(or lack of it) of the device used to monitor RH.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/