Keep on keepin on

Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 09:58:24 -0800

Yes, Dave, I completely understand your point of view. Others are not willing to
aid someone who has achieved a good result and so I'm most interested to see how
you fare. Those engineering types often cannot comprehend the art part and those
who like to think they're arty cannot tolerate the boring inclinations of the
pedantic engineer. Let them flow with their folly.

As for my mentioning the 'grainy' look, I've been in correspondence with John
Grocott of England, whom I assume you must also have corresponded. John sent a
couple of images my way. Of a nude woman on a beach.His process is wash off
carbon where I slowly ran water over the surface and gently brushed for quite a
while. Slowly an image emerged. his also were on a sort of rough paper and a
'grainy' look was there too.

Re Rodin, he did not make his prints but hired photographers to produce imagery
under his supervision. Only later did he allow folks like F. Holland Day (or was
is Alvin Langdon Coburn) and Edward Steichen to photograph his work as they saw
it. The carbon prints I saw @ Stanford were very skillfully made.

Cheers … and, don't pay attention to those 'gripers.'
Jack Fulton