Re: Re : fresson

Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Sun, 03 Oct 1999 14:38:17 -0400

>On Sun, 3 Oct 1999 Judy Seigel wrote:
>

>I've seen claims that "the complete process" is explained in such and such
>a publication, probably cited along with much else on the topic in the
>early list archive. I certainly remember Luis Nadeau's description of
>buying the secrets from whatshisname (Escoffier, n'est-ce pas?) and why he
>doesn't do it (likely story, but aren't they all?! Short form is new
>technology might make that an unlikely business to enter.)

In 1966 Ortiz Echague, who had used fresson papers for most of his working
life and was at the time one of the best known pictorialists in Europe,
obtained detailed instructions for making fresson type papers frm Jacques
Fresson. With this information he built a coating machine and for a while
manufactured his own direct carbon paper. He called this process
carbondir. There is some question as to how successful he was at
manufacturing the paper and some say he really never got it to work well.

What Nadeau acquired in 1979 was Echague's coating machine and, I assume,
some general instructions on how to use it. He advertised for a while a
printing service called Fressontype but gave up on the enterprise long ago.

Sandy King