Re: RC negatives - stripping paper

FotoDave@aol.com
Sun, 03 Oct 1999 22:45:59 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 10/3/99 10:10:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time, nick@mcn.org
writes:

> Since then I have found that what I have is 20% Sodium Hydroxide and at that
> strength, its affect on the paper is minimal. Does anyone know what/how
> much to add to increase it to 50%.

I don't think you need to be that precise to make a 50% Sodium Hydroxide
solution. Also, I believe Pete meant that he used 50% bleach, and the bleach
is believed to be equivalent to sodium hydroxide but the strength might not
be exactly the same. The thing is you simply use the alkali to dissolve some
of the paper still attached.

But to me, stripping paper still sounds a little much work. I would suggest
just to use lith film. If you think controlling the first generation
(positive) is difficult, you can use rc paper for the interpositive and then
contact the paper positive to lith film. Since the paper positive is made to
low contrast, you won't have problem getting the negative with a low-contrast
developer. Or of course you can use direct reversal method. There are a
couple of articles in the PF Journal, issue #2 (or #3? Judy?)

Dave S