Re: Adobe vs. Corel, or the GIMP

Fred P. Arnold (fparnold@balihai.uchicago.edu)
Tue, 05 Oct 1999 13:22:03 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

The GIMP does work under Windows, and without add-on software. The link
to http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32/ is for a Win32 native version,
which removes the need to run either an X-Server (makes windows slower
yet), or a Linux distribution. The latest release includes printing
support, but it prints only the active layer, in its native size, so you
have to both flatten the image layers (if working with more than one), and
scale the screen/printer units before printing.

My personal experience with it has been positive, though color handling
can be a bit odd, and I don't know how to make it mimic the effect of
applying a contrast filter before desaturating the picture. (hint: if
anyone does, I'd love to know). However, all the basic tools are there,
and it's quite sophisticated. I was able to get a nice faux-cyanotype out
of it this morning in three steps, which is helpful for visualizing if you
really want a picture in screaming blue.

In a way, it's the software version of the Bender camera; not quite as
slick as the professional tools would be, but for getting acquiainted with
the techniques, and occasional use, a whole lot more economical.
Considering that photoshop costs at least 20boxes of 4x5 (b&w) film, it's
not a bad way to go.

                                                                -fred

"No science has ever made Frederick P. Arnold, Jr.
 more rapid progress in a A&HPRC, U. of Chicago
 shorter time than Chemistry." 5640 S. Ellis Ave
        -Martin Heinrich Kloproth, 1791 Chicago, IL 60637