Re: Camera Speed Dupe info needed

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:43:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Satoru Tanno wrote:
> I have been trying to direct-dupe/enlarge my 6x7 negs over the last few
> months,
> using Camera Speed Dupe film which I bought from Freestyle several months ago.
>
> -I know this film is not a real continuous-tone film but rather a lith film.
> I usually use highly dilluted PQ developer such as Ilford Multigrade(1:19 or
> more)
> and stop and fix just as anyone does. But there appears ugly ghost streaks on
> high density areas very often.
> Especially when the high density areas are large and evenly exposed(in this
> case evenly 'not' exposed since this is
> a direct dupe film), it frequently gets ghost streaks in the enlarged negs...

How are you developing the film ? In a tray one at a time? Emulsion up?
Flat bottom tray? Because tray ribs, *especially* if film is
emulsion-down, can cause marks.

Also, you don't say if the "ghost streaks" seem to be in more or less the
same place on the film. If so, there could be some reflection or
safelight leak in the darkroom, which this film with (as I recall) longer
exposures could be picking up.

However, in my experience *mottling* in high-density areas has nearly
always been due to bad agitation -- this doesn't actually sound like an
agitation problem, but -- might not hurt to try brush agitation and see if
that helps. How long are you developing? How are you agitating?

I don't know about PMK on this particular film, but there's been much talk
about using it on lith-in-general, which seems to be fine.

> Does anyone on the list know how to prevent this?
> Does PMK work well with this film?
> Any info would be appriciated.

> Satoru Tanno
> Sapporo/Japan