Re: jobo help

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:05:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 Kerik717@aol.com wrote:

> There is a low-cost solution for rotary processing of films 8x10 and larger.
>
> For 8x10, get the Jobo Expert drum but turn it on a simple motor base
> such as the Beseler. These can be found used for $25 to $50. I own 4
> motor bases and 2 Jobo Expert drums for 8x10, so I can process 10
> sheets of 8x10 at a time.

To Matthew: My own "skills" with Jobo, such as they were, are long
obsolete, but I note that the process I was using ultimately required
SLOWER rotation than the slowest speed their mechanical motor could then
provide. I put a marker on the tube & rolled by the clock... very tedious
of course, but times for that film were only 5 minutes & I did 4 sheets at
once.

Which is to say, you could invest the $$$$$ and find it didn't cover all
bases (a baseball term... sorry about that). I gather you're developing
camera film, but mention in passing that lith film, should you decide to
enlarge smaller negs, is very quick -- 3 minutes at most for most
purposes.

> For 7x17, 11x14 and 12x20 I use processing tubes that I make from ABS
> plastic pipe - 3" Diameter for 7x17 and 4" diameter for the other 2.
> I turn these tubes on the same motor bases, so I can do 4 sheets at a
> time. Every 30 seconds I simply pick up the drum, hold it vertically
> momentarily, then place it back onto the motor base so it turns in the
> opposite direction. The tubes should be 3 or 4 inches longer than the
> film to prevent density buildup from turblence near the ends of the
> tube. This system works great for me and gives me very consistent
> negatives.

To Kerik: what is the *widest* tube you have? Or, what is the widest film
you can put into one of these tubes? I have a tube 6 inches in diameter
which, as I recall, was supposed to take a negative 12 inches wide (18
inches long), but plans changed & it remains as still life in the living
room, now with halloween bat-hat stuck in it. (Actually it might be an
owl, fastened to a black velvet band that clips onto your head: daughter
picked up for 99 cents at downtown outlet. A hoot, so to speak.)

Are your home-made ABS tubes opaque and light proof? Reports on that point
were inconclusive, I believe. How long is your total development?

Thanks for info...

Judy