Re: jobo help

Kerik717@aol.com
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:55:29 -0400 (EDT)

Don Bryant writes:

> Great tips about the Beseler motor bases, I am already
> using them with Beseler 8x10 and 11x14 tubes, but
> are you processing your film with pyro/PMK. If so
> are you pre-soaking the film before loading into
> the drum.?

I've been using nothing but Pyro (PMK and more recently "Rollo") for the past 5 or 6 years and always by rotary methods. I've been aware of Pyro's great compatibility with platinum printing since I began using it and was also immediately aware of it's ability to produce "multi-purpose" negatives back when I was still making silver gelatin prints. As more and more people seem to be discovering, Pyro is Good Stuff.

Anyway, I do not wet-load the Jobo drums or my home-made tubes. I find if I place the 8x10 film in the Jobo Expert drum with the "C" facing away from the center of the drum, I almost never have a problem with the film sticking to the interior surface and leaving residual anti-halation dye. For my home-made tubes, I do a 5 minute metaborate presoak (in the rotating drum). Halfway through the presoak time, I open the drum (lights off!) and gently peel the film away from the interior surface of the drum. Once a little water gets behind the film, there is never any problem with sticking or residual anti-halation dye.

hope that helps,
Kerik
www.Kerik.com