Re: Border, Golden Rod, Acetate

Larry Watson (larry@oreilly.com)
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:33:23 -0700

Goldenrod "paper" comes in large sheets (30x40" or so) and is used
by technicians called "strippers" to paste together halftone negs and
lithfilm negs of type, using a red colored scotch tape, to make a
composited sheet used to lay over the sensitized printing plates and
expose in a plate maker. It used to be a bright orange paper, but is
now a more golden colored plastic sheet. One cuts window out of the
paper and pastes the neg into the window on a light table.

Rubylith or Amberlith is an acetate sheet with a geltain like red or orange
coating that can be cut with an exacto blade, and peeled away leaving
the clear acetate backing. It is used primarily to mask out, or burn in,
areas of the plate to create solid areas that get printed, or don't get
printed,
depending on ones intentions. It is often used in silk screen printing.

Either would work for the purpose you choose, I would pick goldernrod
as in does not leave a layer of clear acetate covering your negative to collect
dust and smudges. Goldenrod is cheaper as well. The acetate would not
block UV any noticeable amount.

I think what Office Max sells is a brand name of paper called goldenrod
and I doubt it is what you want. I would call your local printer and
ask him who he orders his supplies from, they should have what you need.

__larry

>Dave, I'm not familiar with the term goldenrod. Is it the same as Rubylith?
>That's what I use for masking. It comes in film-like sheets and blocks UV.
>Somewhat pricey--a 25-sheet booklet of 11x14 sheets is about $20 at art
>supply stores. I've started buying it in rolls, about 35 inches wide and who
>knows how long. I've cut different sized windows for masking a variety of
>print sizes. Or you can just cut strips and lay 'em across the negative. The
>stuff is flimsy, so you need a razor and a rule, or a rotary trimmer, to cut
>a straight line.
>-- Matthew

Larry Watson
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.