Re: Kodak Azo Paper Question

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 04/06/00-03:17:56 AM Z

At 12:20 AM 04/06/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>The developer used with Azo seems to have a major effect on its speed. When
>I exposed it under a 250 watt bulb in a reflector housing, at about 2 1/2
>feet above the paper, I couldn't get a print no matter how short the
>exposure. Even at 3 seconds, the paper turned completely black. This was
>with Ilford Universal paper developer, diluted 1-9 (the normal dilution). I
>then switched to my enlarger, which has an Aristo 4500 VCL head, at 4.0
>contrast (a lot of blue light), without a lens and with the head about 2 1/2
>feet from the paper, and it worked fine with exposures in the 30 second
>range. A friend uses Amidol and with a 250 watt bulb set up similar to the
>one I tried, has to use exposures in the minute range.

  I wonder what else could have happened here. Azo speed shouldn't change
much from developer to developer. It was meant for use with Dektol or with
an earlier Kodak formula D-73, which is essentially Dektol with more
carbonate and less bromide in it, intended for getting blue-black tones on
cold paper. At one time I used both Amidol and Dupont 55-D as my standard
developers. There was a difference in image color but not particularly in
speed.
   Normally, Azo should print in reasonable times with a 60 Watt bulb at a
couple of feet. Contact printing boxes typically had four to six lamps of
40 to 60 Watt strength for printing on paper like Azo and even slowerer
papers like Kodak Athena, typical exposures running between 10 to 30
seconds. The older data sheets indicate Azo has a speed about 1/160th that
of Kodabromide.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.