AZO vs NEOVERA gaslight

From: Harald Leban (hleban@1012surfnet.at)
Date: 04/13/00-09:52:44 PM Z

Hello,
some time ago I had this correspondence with W. Linne about the contact
paper Josef Sudek has used. I donīt know the Bergger paper but maybe this
text would be for interest:
*****************************+
Neobrom was a manufacturer of very fine Photographic papers since 1914 but
closed his production in 1998.

NEOVERA was the last real "gaslight" contact paper with very low light
sensitivity and flat contrast - ideal for printing high contrasty platinum
negs.(grade 1-2)
It īs coated with a rich silver Chloride/iodide emulsion and if developed in
Metol/Hydrochinon it came out with a really olive green colour - most of the
Sudek īs work are printed on it - probably untoned.
Another characteristic of this paper is the silk-screen surface - like the
portrait-papers.
Itīs a real contact paper because itīs sensitivity is only 10% of a
enlarging paper.

NEOTONA formerly called Neogaz paper is an enlarging paper but often used as
contact paper only - so by Sudek.
It has a high glossy surface and a contrast grade about 3 .
It has a Silver chloride/bromide emulsion and comes out with a warm black,
slightly greenish.
through the glossy surface all details come out very sharp - some landscapes
of Sudek I īve seen on it.

< There is mention made of "tinted" enlarging papers
<that he used to make some of his images. What would his choices have
<been?
This paper could be the CHAMOIS paper - it has a natural white(yellowish)
paper base and I think a similar emulsion like NEOTONA but with silk-screen
surface.

A friend of mine distributed Neobrom papers here in austria and so I had the
chance to work with it, too but as I said the production has closed and
Neobrom was killed by "Investment-sharks"

Some Czech artists namely Vaclav Jirasec are still working on this papers
and safed the rest of the last productions.
Other well known artists like Drtikol, Saudek, Berka .. have printed on
these papers,too.

As film developer I think Sudek used the Czech standard - the
Hydrochinon/Metol developer or Glycin developers.

Harald