Re: chemical chaos

From: Liam Lawless (lawless@ic24.net)
Date: 04/15/00-01:27:11 PM Z

Hi,

One source here gives the solubility of hydroquinone as 1 part in 17 parts
cold water, so 1 litre of water should be able to dissolve in the region of
60 g of hydroquinone (though this figure will be lowered by the other
ingredients of a developer). I've never had, or heard of, any trouble
dissolving the stuff, but wanted to make the point that it must be dissolved
after the sulphite as it would otherwise oxidise rapidly in an alkaline
solution. Usually, the carbonate is not added until after the sulphite and
hydroquinone have dissolved. Usually, too, developer formulae give the
order of mixing - start at the top and work down! As far as I'm aware,
hydroquinone isn't any more soluble in an alkaline solution.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but glycin the developing agent is
p-hydroxyphenylglycin (CH2(COOH).NH.C6H4OH), whereas glycine is aminoacetic
acid (CH2.(COOH).NH2) and not a developer at all.

Liam