Re: chemical chaos

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/15/00-01:39:33 PM Z

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Libby Young wrote:
> Firstly, when using hydroquinone -- does one need to grind it up before
> trying to dissolve it or should the needle-like things dissolve easily in
> an alkali solution?? I can't get the damn things to dissolve and have tried
> mushing them up with a pestle but no luck. Any suggestions??

Libby, what formula are you using? Aside from the temperature as Ed
noted, be sure to add chemicals in the order given, and stir each until
completely dissolved before adding the next. It's so long since I've mixed
a "scratch" developer memory is hazy, but I recall that one of the
chemicals wouldn't dissolve until you'd done the one before -- maybe the
first one was sodium sulfite?????

> Secondly, what's the difference between Glycin (parahydroxyphenyl Glycin)
> and Gylcine with an 'e'. I ordered glycin and got glycine (without any
> chemical formulas on the bottle). But it is a glistening white poweder

Who is this doesn't know difference between glycin and glycine-- a
chemical company? One way to tell for sure is the PRICE: Glycin is pretty
expensive, cheapest I know of to date may be Photographer's Formulary and
they're about $18 per 100 grams (by memory). Mine is dull rather than
glistening -- and ages into off white, even tan. It does have quite a bit
longer shelf life than *official* tho ultimately does decline. But even a
bit over the hill, still usable if you use a bit more...

> which is the description I have for glycin so now I'm confused as to
> whether I have the right stuff or not. Anyone know how I can distinguish
> between the two??

Another way to tell might be to mix up a small amount... have you got a
gram scale? Move decimal point on formula one place to the left, & see if
it does what it's supposed to.

Let us know -- & good luck.

Judy