Re: Ferric Oxalate and microwaves and hairdryers

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/15/00-02:33:36 PM Z

I did some actual tests on the effects of heat drying (via hairdryer)
on cyanotype and Vandyke Brown and found that there was a definite
loss of contrast (1 to 2 steps on a 21 step wedge) when heat was used
as compared to air drying (small fan).

Although I have not checked this with platinum, it might be worth
looking into. Also there is the problem of the hairdryer causing little
particles of platinum sensitizer to flake off and float around
in the air you are breathing which, I assume, is not a good idea.

I have also noticed that platinum is very sensitive to humidity. I
have found that problems seem to emerge when the humidity is very
low. Also I have found grain to be a problem when the humidity is to
high if you use potasssium chlorate as a contrast control agent.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.geocities.com/schrammr1/schramm_studioa.htm

also look at: