Color transparency to B&W-On the other hand.

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/15/00-02:22:14 PM Z

Several different photography texts I have checked say that color
images have a tonal range of 8:1 to 16:1 at best, while black and
white images have a tonal range of 144:1 to 256:1 at best.

I have seen color images that have been reproduced, in print, in
black and white and they always look "flat." I have always assumed
that it was because of the limited tonal range.

I woul think that this would be a good reason for shooting B & W
film as opposed to converting a color positive to B & W.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.geocities.com/schrammr1/schramm_studioa.htm

also look at: