Re: Color transparency to B&W-On the other hand.

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 04/15/00-03:43:25 PM Z

At 2000/04/15 04:22 PM -0400, Robert Schramm wrote:
>Several different photography texts I have checked say that color
>images have a tonal range of 8:1 to 16:1 at best, while black and
>white images have a tonal range of 144:1 to 256:1 at best.

Doesn't sound right. The multiplicity of color layers should result in a
greater tonal range when extrapolated to BW. Can you give us the references
in "several different photography texts"? I'd like to check their testing
and evaluation process, as well as when the evaluations were done, because
early color films weren't much good at reproducing intermediate tones. When
I was teaching color theory, my conclusions were just the opposite!

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org
silh@earthlink.net