Re: Wynstone Vellum & wrinkles

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 04/17/00-08:12:39 AM Z

Bob Parker wrote:
> ... The initial dry print was quite crinkly, adn
> when I removed it from the drymount press, the Vellum
> had an interesting alligator texture, but it was not
> smooth. ...

As with Eric, I have not used Wynstone but have used Bienfang 360. This
paper also develops the alligator texture. However this paper will get
the texture from just the humidity in the air (or it seems). For 8x10
prints, I have not been satisfied that a print on Bienfang 360 will
remain flat after pressing.

For these larger (8x10) size prints, the paper surface texture
interferes with the image. What I do is dry mount (with an archival
(and reversible) dry mount tissue such as from Light Impressions) to a
thicker piece of smooth paper. The results are great, an extremely
smooth surface. The print/tissue/paper support are placed onto a clean
mat board (print up) on the table, a clean piece on smooth paper placed
on top, then an iron is used (cotton setting, without steam) (start in
one corner, then across). (The tissue is trimmed to the size of the
print. The support paper is usually larger.)

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/