Re: Old glass negatives

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/17/00-03:11:41 PM Z

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Janet Hubbard wrote:

> I've discovered a small box about 10 inches high of old glass negatives. Not
> having a working darkroom, I'm trying to be creative in looking at and
> printing from these. I've tried scanning them on my relatively new HP
> ScanJet 6200C scanner and then reversing it to a positive in Adobe
> PhotoDeluxe. It works well enough to get a good idea what's there although I
> haven't moved it to the computer with the good printer on it yet. Is there
> an easier way to do this? (short of paying a professional lab to print them)
>
> My main problem is that these negatives were perhaps stored on the floor of
> a building that was flooded many years ago. Some of them are quity muddy.
> Others seem to have mildew/mold on them.
>
> Can someone point me to a source of information on glass negatives? There
> seems to be an emulsion on them. I tried washing one in cool running water
> and blotting it dry by laying it on a clean soft paper towel. I couldn't see
> that I hurt it in any way, but then I'm pretty ignorant. Any recommendations
> on cleaning them? How should they be stored? What should I do with them long
> term? Are they worth anything?

Janet, the photo history list recently ran a very complete and informative
thread on care, keeping, and cleaning of old glass plates, the latter of
which can be tricky. I'm sorry I don't have their archive address handy in
the paper chaos of *this* archive, but maybe someone else does...

> My biggest sorrow is that I didn't absorb more of the incredible amount of
> knowledge my dad had. I've been around this for so long I took it for
> granted. Now I realize how totally ignorant I am.

Like I used to explain to my children when they wouldn't let me tell them
something, "you'll be sorry when I'm dead."

But needless to say information expands faster than the human capacity to
absorb it -- and fortunately much old photo info is lovingly rediscovered
& available...

Judy