Re: cyanotype sensitivity

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/17/00-03:02:50 PM Z

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Gwen Walstrand wrote:

> I neglected to mention in my last message what the actual exposure times
> for cyanotype are. They are typically one hour (or more) for a film
> negative and about 50 minutes for an inkjet negative. We may try the sun
> next. Thanks for your help.
> Gwen

Gwen, if you're getting exposures of 4 to 8 minutes for VDB, as you say,
yet nearly 1 hour for cyanotype, something is wrong. My guess would be the
chemicals. Is your solution yellow-green when mixed? Which formula are you
using? Distilled water? Is your water very alkaline? Are you using the
same negatives?

Not that the halide light at 30 inches is best choice... BL fluorescent
bulbs, as Bob noted, are much more practical -- at distance of 2-3 inches,
can take several prints at a time, low wattage, low heat, and long life.
But exposure times for VDB & cyanotype are, with any lighting system I've
used, within 20% of each other. Maybe you've got some cockamamie paper?
Try a test of the cyano on a good quality typing paper, or even a paper
bag, to check that..

And Bob: you say you extended cyano scale by 2 parts A to 1 part B. I did,
too -- but the color was much lighter. Did you get same intensity?

Judy