Re: Old glass negatives

From: Bob Parker (photobob124@yahoo.com)
Date: 04/18/00-10:28:40 PM Z

I just found the address for the Photo History Mailing
List through Dogpile. Here it is:

http://www.city-gallery.com/resource/photohst/sub.html

It is a nicely designed site with easy access to it's
archive and a decent search engine. There seem to be
many posts about glass negatives.

I am not a professional photographer or printer, and
my experience has been different than what James Romeo
expresses concern about in his post below. I believe
he raises a legitamate and very valid concern about
using contact print frames with glass negs, however I
have done about a dozen or so platinum/palladium
prints with small (4x5 and 5x7) glass negs using old
split back contact print frames without a problem. I
tried this technique after reading about printing
glass negs in an old issue of View Camera magazine.
If your are careful and the frame has even pressure on
the springs there should be no problem. I don't know
if there would be a problem with larger negatives
however, I suspect with care there should not be.
One could probably always check the safety of larger
glass plates by placing sheets of plain window glass
first in the contact print frame to check pressure and
risk of harm to the glass.

The problem I ran into with using heavy weight glass
without a contract frame to print with is that the
contact is not always flush with the enitre negative,
and you may get areas of out of focus or fuzzy focus
on the print. This may be more true with hand coated
papers that have been dried and may have some
unevenness in the (as opposed to commercial contact
papers. Hand coated papers may require more pressure
for a firm contact, than what heavy plate galss could
afford. This is just speculation based on my short
experience.