Re: alt photo mailing list

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 04/23/00-11:48:32 PM Z

Hi:

Stan's message is correct. The mailserv program looks at the email
address of the person who sent the message, and compares that to the
address that it is being asked to unsubscribe. If these do not match up
it refuses to unsubscribe.

Service providers have a variety of ways of sending email to "changed
addresses".

The mailserv program occasionally refuses to recognize a name in the
subscription list. These are usually old addresses that were subscribed
to the list when it was run by a different system, when Steve Avery was
managing this list.

If you have any problems don't hesitate to ask for help

Gord Holtslander
List Manager

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, stan johnson wrote:

> Have you perchance changed your email address? I recall getting very
> frustrated one time when trying to unsub, forgetting that my provider
> had changed my domain name. And of course I had changed it in the
> settings of my mail program. The listserver didn't recognize the name it
> was given in the header of my note as being that of a subscriber, so it
> kept telling me that I couldn't unsub because I wasn't subscribed...
> [The old address still worked, so I kept getting the mail traffic, which
> was addressed to it.]
>
> stan
>
> --
> Stan Johnson
> sjohnson@gwi.net
> 04/23/00 11:19pm

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2