Re: Happenings, new products, etc.

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 04/24/00-02:32:46 PM Z

Sandy,

That's been a tough one. As far as I know there is no standard by which
these beasts are measured. There is no such thing as a one "Alt" or a two
"Alt" system. The best I've been able to do is measure it against an F40BL
close packed 8 bulb system. I've used standard DOP palladium with no No 2.
and printed Stouffers wedges. Even then, variations in coating etc or paper
etc can make a difference.

As for the "lively" image look I can't say anything other than it seems to
be there. This might be similar to the witchery that goes on in the world
of Hi-Fi in terms of describing speaker systems. There are often
differences to the ear that scientific measurements don't describe.

People who have moved up to metal halide systems seem to be extremely happy
with the move. At least that is the impression we get here at B+S on the
Helpline. People were referring to the print quality as opposed to the
speed. Stephen Livick of gum fame is dead against fluorescent systems for
gum and says they produce lifeless images as compared to the halide
systems. Check out www.livick.com to see some of his 8 foot by 12 foot full
color gums made of 24 x 30 inch images. Breathtaking!

My guess is that for some reason there might be more mid-tone separation.
Since there is more printing speed, that may in effect cause a separation
the mid-tones. It could also be just be a slight boost in overall contrast.
There seems to be a never ending swamp to walk into here. I once thought of
trying to definitively measure all the variables in the pt/pd printing
system but the permutations just become astronomical.

--Dick