Re: Happenings, new products, etc.

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@flint.umich.edu)
Date: 04/24/00-10:00:49 PM Z

Sandy, Dick, et al,

As a part of that first online class (kudos, Dick...great idea and
experience) I was a victim of the fluorescent failure. I'd used an
Edwards Engineering box successfully for some prints in V.D, cyanotype
(original and Ware formulas), platinum, and gum. Of all of these gum was
the worst.
During the Livick class, my test negative just died in all tests and
soon it became apparent the difference was the light source. Subsequent
testing by another classmate, Joe Smeigel, with quartz halogen lamps
produced promising results, but the metal halide lamps were clear
winners.

So, is it contrast, point source, or UV wave length concentration...???

I only know I wished I'd known B&S was producing this nice (looks really
nice in the picture) unit before I coughed up the money for a Violux
(Livick's unit is a Violux) from Ed Stander. I think I got a pretty good
deal though, 1500W and a new bulb for similar cost. I like the B&S
enclosure better than my black curtains.

I haven't had any time for new tests, that comes in May and June --
thank God this semester is over soon.

--
Darryl Baird