UV lights for gum

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/25/00-12:38:51 AM Z

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Darryl Baird wrote:

> As a part of that first online class (kudos, Dick...great idea and
> experience) I was a victim of the fluorescent failure. I'd used an
> Edwards Engineering box successfully for some prints in V.D, cyanotype
> (original and Ware formulas), platinum, and gum. Of all of these gum was
> the worst.
> During the Livick class, my test negative just died in all tests and
> soon it became apparent the difference was the light source. Subsequent
> testing by another classmate, Joe Smeigel, with quartz halogen lamps
> produced promising results, but the metal halide lamps were clear
> winners.
>
> So, is it contrast, point source, or UV wave length concentration...???

As ever, generalisations about gum printing seem to beg for contradiction.
Or let me say again that recently when my NuArc died, I went back to the
BL bulbs and found they printed much better, easier. My thought is that
they print gum somewhat flatter -- ie, longer scale -- which could be why.
(Tho when I had the reflective foil under the fluorescent bulbs they
printed worse, purely fuzzified.)

But what is an "Edwards Engineering box" anyway? What kind of bulbs?
(Maybe BLB?) And what are your criteria for "clear winner"? 21-steps? One
coat prints? depth of color? number of steps? Or....????

I'm also wondering what kind of negatives you found the metal halide best
with -- I'm doing continuous tone at this point -- haven't tried digital
or half tone yet with the BL bulbs, but there seem to be very great
differences in printing characteristics between the two types, which could
also be a factor, even *the* factor. Multiple coat & single coat gum can
benefit from different treatment, too -- or ....... ?????

Finally, if I may, one more question: Darryl, what is the footprint of
your Violux? And bed size? (Well, I guess that's two questions -- sorry.)

cheers,

Judy