Re: Happenings, new products, etc.

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 04/25/00-05:03:58 AM Z

Darryl Baird wrote:
> During the Livick class, my test negative just died in all tests and
> soon it became apparent the difference was the light source. Subsequent
> testing by another classmate, Joe Smeigel, with quartz halogen lamps
> produced promising results, but the metal halide lamps were clear
> winners.

Did you try the sun?
I continue to find it interesting that discussion continues as to this
or that light is "best" without any substantiating data. I certainly
can accept that different light sources may produce different results,
but this is not better or best.

When is someone going to present their study on the effect of various
light sources on the alt processes. Where is the data? What was done?
What was observed?

> I only know I wished I'd known B&S was producing this nice (looks really
> nice in the picture) unit before I coughed up the money for a Violux....
> I like the B&S
> enclosure better than my black curtains.

I too looked at the pictures of the LumenAria on the B&S site. My
concern is that this unit does not seem to have light tight louvers for
the intake and exhaust of the cooling air. This would mean that the
unit would have to be in another room separate from coating and
processing. Black curtains could be used to block the light, but how
would this affect the cooling? It seems that a great amount of
modification would be required to make this exposure unit usable in the
darkroom (AKA: photo lab, work area).

If you don't care for black curtains, perhaps make a door of plywood.
However, put a tongue and grove around it to seal the light.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/