Re: UV lights for gum

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 04/25/00-06:11:49 PM Z

Smieglitz@aol.com wrote:
> In my tests, I used a Minolta Auto IVF meter to check the eveness of
> illumination over the surface of the contact frame and adjusted the beam from
> the FEL lamp until I was satisfied the illumination was even for practical
> purposes. I'm sure a metal halide graphics arts printer is a better exposure
> source for gum printing... I'm sure I
> could get more precision with a specialized graphics arts printer.

Joe,
Since you calibrated and adjusted your lamp yourself to your necessary
tolerance, you've likely got much better uniformity than an expensive
specialized printer. Those printers must be calibrated and adjusted
just as you have done. You might check the adjustments by exposing a
piece of sheet film (same size as print) to a mid value (increase the
contrast during development) and see if it is uniform.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/