Re: Re : TRI-X in Rodinal question (and HC-110)

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 08/02/00-05:39:59 AM Z

pascal miele wrote:
> Rodinal in high dilution 1:100 is a very good choice for high definition
> (with "maximum" grain) ==> you have no physical development.
> You have the same effect with HC110

HC-110 works excellent with Tri-X to produce sharpness and detail. I
have successfully used HC-110 at dilution from 16 ml/liter to 256
ml/liter (and a few times at 512 ml/liter), keeping times between 3 to 6
minutes using a Zone VI temperature compensating timer. Do not be
restricted by the arbitrary dilution recommendations given by Kodak.
Also do not go by Kodak's recommended capacity; I find it to be the
equivelent of two 8x10 per liter. (The third sheet will require
substantially more time, depending on the amount of action taken on the
other two.)

What do you mean by "an important role". With the Pt/Pd process, the
grain works "behind the scenes" to provide detail. Without substantial
grain in the negative, there is a loss of detail in the Pt/Pd print that
is contained within the negative. So this would seem an important role.
This should also be an important consideration for digital negatives
used to produce Pt/Pd prints and the "grain" produced by a printer.

Or, do you mean seeing the grain. In this case, an enlarged negative
may be made with enough enlargement to show the grain. Do keep in mind
that the paper surface of the print will have a dominating influence
until the grain size becomes greater than the paper's texture size. As
far as "tooth" goes, the paper surface has the ultimate dominating
influence.

For Pt/Pd printing, I can recommend the Tri-X and HC-110 for the
negative and a careful choice of paper for the print. The paper will
also dramatically influence sharpness. Unfortunately, it seems that
sharpness and tooth are independently achieved at the partial expense of
the other.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/