Re: grain /tri-X, Tmax, etc.

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/02/00-05:17:31 PM Z

Judy,

Far as I know TMax P3200 is only available in 35mm, and my comments on
its appearance are based on making silver enlargements. I assume that
making enlarged negatives won't be all that much different.

Not sure if this applies to Jeffrey's 'behind the scenes' idea, but
small format enlargements benefit in mysterious ways from differences in
the appearance of film grain. Most obvious is that a picture that isn't
sharp may look sharp if the eye has a corner-to-corner grain pattern to
anchor on while looking at the soft image. TMax-100 enlargements can
look "unsharp" because the film is virtually grainless. Etc, etc.

---Carl

--
Website with online galleries and workshop information at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/