Re: No digital at Photovision

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 08/02/00-06:19:11 PM Z

Sandy,

I personally have no problem with this approach. For one thing,
there are magazines on the market that are devoted only to digital
imaging. I do a lot of digital imaging in my work and have been
known to make a giclee print or three, but my true love is silver/
gelatin and alternative process. Frankly I welcome the magazine and
intend to subscribe. Kudos to the editors for stateing their position
so clearly and sticking to their guns even to the extent of loss of
advertising dollars from the digital equipment people.

Clearly digital imaging offers a lot of advantages but I am very
concerned about the fact that, so far, the prints are far from
archival. I believe that this problem will eventually be solved, in fact
there are some reports that Epson may have already solved it.
I am eagerly awaiting this.

Clearly the snapshot market will go completly digital n the near future. We
will probably see a lot of commercial photography going
digital as well but just as members of this list are keeping 19th
century processes alive, there will alway be people like the Photovision
folks who will keep silver/gel alive. BTW the Photovision
people plan to feature alternative process printers.

I say, more power to them and welcome!

Bob Schramm