Re: No digital at Photovision

From: Gerard NIEMETZKY (gerard@atxstudio.com)
Date: 08/03/00-07:17:37 AM Z

Digital imaging is just a tool, not a goal itself.

Without the talent of an artist it is nothing.

The goal, for a photographer, is too surprise us, show us the world ,
beautiful or ugly, express his feelings....
the result, his work, only counts.

My goal, as a printer, is to serve artists with the best quality and
permanence possible.

I consider myself as a craftsman. and it is extraordinary, for me, to make
the best, most permanent prints, with a 140 years old photographic process,
thanks to the digital technology!

"...Photovision, a place where photographers can meet and talk and
appreciate
pure art and craft, and know that every image was made with skill by
artists who created their work in the camera and the darkroom without the
    aid of digital technology."

Throw away your modern lightmeters, electronic shutters, flashes,
multicoated lenses... God bless the pinhole camera!

--
Gerard Niemetzky
http://www.atxstudio.com

From: Sandy King <sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu> Reply-To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 19:22:48 -0400 To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca Subject: No digital at Photovision

Considering the fact that a sizable percentage of all mail posted to the alt photo process list involves some aspect of digital photography, even if only for the negative making stage of our work, it is of some significance that a new photography magazine has just been launched that proudly pledges to dedicate itself to the pure craft, i.e. no digital, of photography. Today I received a copy of the premier issue of this magazine, Photovision. The opening note from the editor reads as follows: "We don't want to stir up the old rumblings of art-versus-craft that have plagued photograhy since its beginnings, but feel that here is something different and special about traditional photography that should be cherished. And so, it is based on this lifetine love of the art and craft of photography that we present Photovision, a place where photographers can meet and talk and appreciate pure art and craft, and know that every image was made with skill by artists who created their work in the camera and the darkroom without the aid of digital technology."

Opinions anyone?

Sandy King