Re: Baryta paper as a substrate for alt processes.

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 08/09/00-10:14:47 PM Z

Craig Koshyk wrote:
> ... It describes my efforts,
> failures and ultimate success in getting an even hand coating on baryta
> papers....
> ... and by all means please let me know what you think.

Your description (at the link) leaves out the most important
information, what you did. Selling a video is nice, but it would be
even nicer to let us know what you did, specifically, and not just in
general.

I do recall your request of me to examine and comment on some of this
work. However, you told me nothing of your intent to quote positive
comments as promo for your video. I sent the comments and prints back
to you some time ago, but have not heard anything more from you. If you
thought my comments were negative, you are mistaken. The single largest
deficiency as I observed was that not enough metal was being used in the
coating. I examined the same prints as Carl Weese and felt they fell
short of the richness typical of Pt/Pd prints, but also felt this might
be solved by adjusting your procedure. But without the details of your
procedure, I can only guess as to what.

In the interest of advancing the art and craft of the Pt/Pd process, it
would be helpful to disclose your procedure with all the details
necessary for an experienced Pt/Pd printer to be able to reproduce your
efforts. Indicate in the written words where a video may be helpful to
the understanding and those of us unable to proceed without it can order
it. If you really feel the necessity for a video in places, why not
load it over the internet.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/