Re: Baryta paper as a substrate for alt processes.

From: Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Date: 08/10/00-08:43:47 AM Z

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:

> Craig Koshyk wrote:
> > ... However, my coating proceedure calls for a double coat
> > (always). The gelatin layer of the paper is coated until it
> > is saturated and will take no more. Adjusting the ratio of
> > metal salts to sensitizer could
> > help here. I am looking into that. Anyway you cut it though the procedure
> > calls for 2 to 4 times the amount of sensitising solutions than a similar
> > sized print on cotton. ...
>
> 2 to 4 times seems reasonable, as it seems to be sucked (or pushed) into
> the gelatin.

OK, since I've never made a platinum print I figure I can speak with
great authority here <smirk, wink, grin>. Anyway I thought I'd offer the
following random thoughts.

If the goal is to saturate the gelatin layer with the platinum solution it
seems that one could float or immerse the gelatin coated paper in the
solution itself. Of course this probably is cost prohibitive, especially
since the paper would almost certainly absorb some of the solution.

Another random thought would be to make a gelatin/platinum emulsion.
You'd mix the platinum solutions into a gelatin sol and then coat that onto
whatever base paper you want baryta coated or not. In a sense, you'd be
combining the sizing and the coating step.

Just some ideas, don't have the foggiest clue if it would work or not.

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)