Re: Baryta paper as a substrate for alt processes.

From: Craig Koshyk (chiendog@pangea.ca)
Date: 08/10/00-02:20:50 PM Z

>> 2 to 4 times seems reasonable, as it seems to be sucked (or pushed) into
>> the gelatin.
>
> OK, since I've never made a platinum print I figure I can speak with
> great authority here <smirk, wink, grin>. Anyway I thought I'd offer the
> following random thoughts.
>
> If the goal is to saturate the gelatin layer with the platinum solution it
> seems that one could float or immerse the gelatin coated paper in the
> solution itself. Of course this probably is cost prohibitive, especially
> since the paper would almost certainly absorb some of the solution.

Wow! talk about expensive. Actually I did try this method but with cyanotype
solutions. The results were not good. The gelatin layer readily absorbs
liquids, but not evenly. The trick is to get a really even coating.

> Another random thought would be to make a gelatin/platinum emulsion.
> You'd mix the platinum solutions into a gelatin sol and then coat that onto
> whatever base paper you want baryta coated or not. In a sense, you'd be
> combining the sizing and the coating step.

I wouldn't know where to start to do this. Besides with such a nice,
uniform, quality controled gelatin layer already on commercially available
paper why bother?

Craig