Re: daguerreotype problems

From: Phillip Murphy (pmurf@bellsouth.net)
Date: 08/24/00-07:21:20 AM Z

Subjecting a Daguerreotype to a "stream" of tap water can create streaks in
the image. Usually radiating from the point where the tap water hits the
plate. An alternative is to use an exchange method of washing with deionized
water and with distilled water in the end. Depending on the local water
supply, chemical additives in the "tap" can react with the plate and cause
difficulties.

Contact "printing" with a film positive is a common practice with new
Daguerreotype methods. One simply needs a delicate touch when placing the
plate and film in contact. Also, a UV source is unnecessary. I've done this
using an old contact printing box with a standard bulb in place. Typically,
Dags that are "printed" have a printed look as opposed to an "in camera" Dag
which has a much more three-dimensional feel.

Phillip