Re: alt photo MFA

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 08/24/00-08:02:12 PM Z

> A few recent messages concerning MFAs have been posted, so I'm taking this
> as an opportunity to ask a few questions. Any information or advice that
> you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently looking
> into MFA programs for photography, and would like to focus on non-silver
> processes. What schools have a good program for this, and what type of
> work should I include in my portfolio?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Maureen Duncan

The University of the Arts in Philadelphia offers an MFA in Book
Arts/Printmaking. This MFA program is closely connected to the Printmaking
area in which non-silver processes are taught. (Printmaking is part of the
Fine Arts department which includes Painting and Sculpture but we also have
close ties to Photography, which is part of Media Arts, and to those who are
doing digital imaging ‹ the Imaging Lab even has a Scitex imagesetter so
that we have an inhouse service bureau.) Most of the graduate students take
elective non-silver classes during their two years in the program, sometimes
combining text and images in cyanotype or vandyke or even gum. Although
beginning and advanced non-silver are offered as elective undergraduate
classes, graduate students can join them for graduate credit. A number of
MFA candidates have done independent study in non-silver with me and have
shown work in non-silver for their thesis exhibitions.

The University of Delaware is where I received my MFA in Photography. I had
already been working in non-silver and teaching it for years when I entered
the program run by John Weiss. I continued on my own path with the benefit
of articulate critiques from John and classmates working in silver
photography, the discipline of a written thesis on my own work and the
precious mandate to give priority to producing work in cyanotype/gum
bichromate printed from pinhole negatives - my chosen combination.

Sarah Van Keuren