RE: FW: daguerreotype problems

From: Marc Gomm (marc.gomme@pandora.be)
Date: 08/25/00-02:56:59 PM Z

Thanks for your answer ...

Marc

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Robert W. Schramm [mailto:schrammrus@hotmail.com]
Verzonden: vrijdag 25 augustus 2000 18:39
Aan: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Onderwerp: Re: FW: daguerreotype problems

Marc,

I suspected that was what you were doing and I believe that is why you are
having problems. The sensitized surface of the daguerreotype plate is so
delicate that you really cannot touch it with anything. At least
that has been my experience.

What I do is to make a large positive image (11x14) and copy it with
a 4 x 5 camera loaded with the sensitized daguerreotype plate. You
have to find an old plate holder like they used to use for glass
plates as this will work for a dag plate.

Bright sunlight exposures for an iodine/bromine plate are about
1-2 minutes at f 5.6 so I don't know about an enlarger. I have
thought about modfying a mercury vapor street light fixture to fit
on an enlarger but have never tried it. Its an idea. Also I have
seen illustrations in old books of a nineteenth century enlarger
which used mirrors to reflect sunlight through a hole in the wall
of a darkroom and then into a horizontal enlarger. That would work
but you would have to be carefull not to "fry" your negative.

Bon chance with your work.

Bob Schramm