Re: PRE DEVELOPMENT BLEACHING

From: Ken Sinclair (photo1@telusplanet.net)
Date: 08/30/00-04:46:16 PM Z

Bob,
It is commonly known as the "Sterry" method. I use a really dilute bleach
from Kodak's sepia toner. The print is exposed and slipped into the bleach
for a short time before being put into the developer.

The bleach (I believe) reduces the amorphous silver available at the atomic
level in the exposed but undeveloped print. It assists in reducing the
contrast in single graded papers, I find it most usefull when printing on
Kodak's Elite which seems to have rather strange grade "jumps"

I was introduced to the technique in (about 1953

When I find it in my my "recipe file" I'll send it to you

Ken