Re: Palladium

From: Emma feldman (ladyoflemon@hotmail.com)
Date: 11/30/00-11:09:43 PM Z

Judy,

>Well, here's another county heard from. Re image loss during fixing, did
>you add ammonia to the fix? With that, image loss was minimal. (Do a
>21-step to measure image loss, then "overprint" accordingly -- wasn't very
>much.) But that may also be a factor of the developer -- I used sodium
>acetate with tartaric acid -- proved a very reliable combo. Also much
>easier to mix than that nasty Rochelle salts (& many times cheaper), &
>less poisonous than potassium oxalate. With that developer virtually no
>clearing problems. For permanency, who knows? But a gold toner (gold
>prices still drop) takes care of that, and with student work, permanency
>is not a paramount issue.

I find that last sentance to be a bit insulting being a student myself. I
work very hard to make sure my prints are archival. It's tough sometimes
with the people who are in the communal darkroom at my university, but
certainly not something that anyone at my school does not go to great
lengths to achive. Jsut becasue we are students it does not mean we take
the work any less seriously than if we were hading it over to a gallery. My
university has a policy when teaching that one should treat images to be
hung for critique as if they were being hung in a gallery. This means to
have nice clean borders spotted prints and properly flattened and archived.

emma