Re: Palladium

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 12/01/00-07:38:11 AM Z

Emma feldman wrote:
> I just recently started to read up on Platnium and palladium processes and
> would like to know if there is a paper that anyone could suggest I try?

There are many papers that work well with the Pt/Pd process. The
selection of paper is a personal decision affecting the image. For a
beginner, I would recommend Bienfang 360 paper (100% rag, marker
layout)(not 360r) made by the Hunt company. I have found this paper to
be the easiest and quickest to achieve good results for a beginner. It
is also an excellent paper for the most advanced printer. This paper is
also inexpensive and widely available.

If one wishes to work with the Pt/Pd process, then one must do the Pt/Pd
process, not some other process. This should be clear advice.

Do take the opportunity to read my Guide to Platinum Palladium
Photographic Printmaking, found on my web site (link below). Let me
know what you think of it.

And as to what
Judy Seigel wrote:
> ... True, kallitype is more fuss than palladium printing (but anything is more
> fuss than pl/pt printing, the easiest processes on earth, only made
> *difficult* by nervous attacks re the cost of metal), but that's only
> because there's an extra step -- the fixing, plus hypo clear. On the plus
> side, much more flexibility in color of the print & much more variety in
> style of paper. Also free spirit -- and isn't that the whole point? ...

I must say that anyone can likely make a Pt/Pd print, but only a master
of the process will make consitantly good quality Pt/Pd prints (also
true with any other process). The nuances of great Pt/Pd printing are
far from "easy". This is a time consuming laborious process most times
demanding veritable control and consummate discipline. And do not be
fooled; the Pt/Pd proces has a great diversity of color, look, texture,
substrates, and "free spirit". It's all at the discretion of the master
Pt/Pd printer.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/