Re: B

From: Gerard NIEMETZKY (gerard@atxstudio.com)
Date: 12/04/00-08:26:08 AM Z

on 12/4/00 6:58 AM, Jean-Daniel LEMOINE at jdlemoin@club-internet.fr wrote:

> Hi all,
> Could anyone give me the right formula of Degree BAUME versus density (for
> Iron Chloride).
> Is (or was) this formula the same in all countries?
>
> Jean-Daniel

Bonjour Jean Daniel

Voici ce que j¹ai trouve:

The French chemist Antoine Baumé devised the scale for marking hydrometers.
For liquids that are heavier than water, 0°Baumé marks the water level of
the hydrometer placed in pure water, and 15°Bé corresponds to the water
level when the scale is placed in a solution that is 15% NaCl by mass. For
liquids that are lighter than water, 10°Baumé marks the level for pure water
and 0°Bé corresponds to a solution that is 10% NaCl by mass.

At 60°F (15.5ºC), specific gravity can be calculated from degrees Baumé
using the following formulas:
liquids lighter than water: sp. gr. = 140/(°Bé + 130)
liquids heavier than water: sp. gr. = 145/(145 - °Bé)Note that a "new"
scale called the Gerlach scale uses 146.78 in the heavier-than-water
equation rather than 145.

Although the Baumé scale is almost never mentioned in chemistry courses,
tradesmen often use it as a convenient way to check solution concentration.
For example, U. S. Grade A honey must have a Baumé reading of at least
42.49°Bé at 60°F. Recipes for lowering the pH of pool water call for
20°Baumé hydrochloric acid. It's also used by brewers for checking the
density of sugar solutions before fermentation.

Bonne table de conversion a cette adresse (a 60ºF=15.5ºC)
http://pump.net/thebasics/equivdegrees.htm

Cordialement

Gerard

--